Habib Public School is the realization of a dream. Mr. Muhammad Ali Habib, a Banker, Philanthropist and a Planner, realized the need for a good quality school in Karachi, managed by the Muslim community that could provide quality education to all without discrimination. The School started on 7th July 1959 (11th Zilqad) with four blocks of buildings, named, Ahmed House, Ghulam Ali House, Dawood House, and Sharif House. The first administrator of the School was late Mr. Yousuf Qasim, who supervised the construction work as well as carried out admissions and appointment of staff.
On the first day only three admissions were received. However within one year there were no seats available. This was in spite of the fact that the premises were considered isolated and marshy. There was no public transport facility in this area. Some children used to walk from places as far as Saddar or Cantt Station.
By 1963, in a short period of four years, the School had become one of the high-profile schools of Karachi. The School became well known throughout the country and also internationally. The school became the leading school of the city and the elite of the city turned for admission of their children.
Land was reclaimed from the sea and, over a period of 15 years, facilities were added for a second hockey field, a swimming pool, an auditorium, Physics and Chemistry labs and Secondary and Cambridge classrooms.
The school has been a full day school from its start, emphasizing on whole-child development and not only classroom learning. The school also provided fee concessions, stationery and uniforms to the needy students so that it should not become a school for the rich only. At present the fee concession exceeds Rs.5 million annually. The Cambridge system of education was also introduced in 1980.